Our programs are designed to create communities where any person living with a mental health challenge has the support to heal, thrive, and live well.
Advocacy & Policy Programming
- Legislative Action Community is a place where people are empowered to actively engage with New York State policymakers to improve access to mental health services and reduce the stigma associated with mental illness.
- Community Mental Health Promotion (CMHP) serves as a grassroots advocacy incubator program for affiliates that create teams of diverse constituencies to help identify and promote mental health priorities in their communities.
- Voter Empowerment Project seeks to empower those with lived experiences and the community in which they live to understand their rights around voting.
- Mental Health Information Center (MHIC) provides mental health information and resources for all New Yorkers. We do this by answering questions from people who reach out to our Information & Referral Line, by providing presentations and talk on numerous mental health topics, and utilizing technology and social media to keep interested New Yorkers informed about mental health.
- MHANYS Reentry Hotline provides advocacy for both incarcerated and formerly incarcerated individuals interested in resources that help them successfully reintegrate back with their families and communities upon release.
- Workforce Development & Outreach Program (WDOP) is designed to improve employment opportunities for individuals any person living with a mental health challenge by offering training and technical assistance to businesses.
- School Mental Health Resource and Training Center has tools and information schools need to educate students about mental health – from instructional resources to staff development, and information for families.
Training & Certification
- MHANYS provides training, technical assistance, and consulting services for privately held and community-based organizations such as state and county agencies, mental health professionals, and a variety of organizations and professions serving the general public.
- MHANYS CarePath™ Program assists individuals and their families or identified supporters in developing a comprehensive strategy called a CarePath™. This innovative program strengthens the overall health and well-being of individuals and their families’ transition from any type of treatment setting or families simply interested in achieving better overall health and a sense of well-being. It supports healthy reconnections amongst family, friends, and within the community, be it – job, school, or other associations Learn more about certification.
- Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is a public education program that can help individuals across the community understand mental illnesses, support timely intervention and save lives. It is a skills-based training course that teaches participants about mental health and substance-use issues. Learn more about certification.
- Building Connections: The Sexual Assault and Mental Health Project is a collaboration between the New York State Coalition Against Sexual Assault (NYSCASA) and MHANYS. The project provides residents and service providers across New York State with information and training seminars on understanding trauma, and trauma-informed care for survivors of sexual assault and mental health challenges.
- Suicide Prevention Initiatives – MHANYS works closely with the NYS Office of Mental Health’s Suicide Prevention Office and the Suicide Prevention Center of New York to make operational yearly statewide suicide prevention initiatives that reach clinicians, communities, and other stakeholders.