Award Nominations Closing in Days
Nominations are closing soon for the Justice Center’s annual Code of Conduct Awards. The honor is given to four people who embody the ethical standards outlined in the Justice Center’s Code of Conduct for Custodians of People with Special Needs. The Code provides a framework intended to assist staff to help people with special needs “live self-directed meaningful lives in their communities, free from abuse and neglect, and protected from harm.” Anyone who signs the Code is eligible to be nominated. The deadline for nominations is Friday, July 9. Winners will be announced during a virtual awards ceremony in September.
Submit a Nomination
New Professional Boundaries Training Now Available
Establishing professional boundaries while working with people in care has proven to be difficult. Each year, the Justice Center investigates a high volume of cases that involve accusations of staff crossing this line. In response, the Justice Center has just developed a professional boundaries training video. The training is targeted toward provider agencies training staff on how to navigate these boundaries with an emphasis on reducing incidents of abuse and neglect and improving the quality of care. The interactive training includes:
- Defining professional boundaries and explaining how boundaries impact the provision of care.
- Explaining three types of professional boundaries – physical, interpersonal and psychological – as they relate to specific case scenarios at provider agencies serving vulnerable people.
- Explaining a concept called the “zone of helpfulness” that exists along a continuum of professional behavior.
- Discussing the importance of staff self-awareness and self-help to maintain effective professional boundaries in the workplace.
- Providing an overview of abuse prevention resources available on the Justice Center website.
This new, interactive training is available exclusively on the Justice Center website. While there, don’t forget to visit the training section to find other helpful resources.
Launch New Training
Registration Open for New Online Training
The Justice Center is offering a new, annual series of online training webinars for state and provider agency investigators. Topics this year will include the new Investigation Strategy Memo just issued by the agency as well as an overview of sepsis to help investigators learn best practices for investigating allegations involving people who develop this condition. Registration is already open and slots are limited!