MEDIA ADVISORY | Event: March 8, 2023
Contact: Glenn Liebman, 518.434-0439 (o), 518-360-7916 (m)
Mental Health Matters Day
Mental Health Advocates and Students Rally at the State Capitol to Bring Attention to New York’s Mental Health Needs
ALBANY, N.Y. — Mental Health Matters Day will bring more than 200 mental health professionals, advocates and students to the State Capitol Wednesday, March 8. Together, they will call on state lawmakers to support the mental health needs of New Yorkers, urging action on key legislative and budgetary measures.
The Mental Health Association in New York State (MHANYS) organizes the annual Mental Health Matters Day to help New Yorkers make their voices heard on issues affecting the mental health and wellness of their communities.
This year, their priorities include:
- Mental health workforce: 8.5 percent Cost of Living Adjustment for human service workers. MHANYS is also calling on the legislature to pass a bill to study pension and retirement options for non-profit human service employees.
- Community Based Mental Health Services—MHANYS calls for $500 million to be added to the State Budget for Community Based Services.
- Education and higher education mental health: Legislation that responds to the mental health needs of schools, colleges and universities including access to care for students and training for school teachers as well as college and university students, faculty and staff.
- Supportive housing: Increased funding to help mental health housing providers meet the growing need for community-based housing for people with psychiatric disabilities.
- Veterans mental health: Ongoing funding for the very successful J PFC Joseph P. Dwyer Veteran Peer Support Program
- Mental health in the workplace: Legislation to increase mental health awareness and information about disability rights in the workplace.
WHEN: Wednesday, March 8
- 9:30-11:45 a.m. – MHANYS Legislative Briefing with remarks from lawmakers and advocates
- 12:00 p.m. – Rally outside the State Capitol
WHERE: New York State Capitol, Albany
- MHANYS Legislative Briefing in Empire State Plaza Meeting Room 6 (9:30-11:45 a.m.)
- Rally planned for West Capitol Park, outside the State Capitol (12:00 p.m.)