ACTION ALERT TO PASS NYS FAIL FIRST (STEP THERAPY) LEGISLATION
Phone Calls to Senate/Assembly Leadership June 10-17
Due to all of your strong advocacy efforts, we are making great progress in advancing the NY Fail First legislation through the State Legislature this year. The bill has moved through Assembly Insurance to Rule (last committee before a floor vote). Also we have a commitment for the bill to move out of Insurance to Rules in the Senate. We need your help in these final days of session to call the Leadership in both houses (see chart below) who will make the decision on whether the bill will be passed to ask them to “pass the bill this year.” State Legislators are back in their districts today through June 13th. Then they will be in Albany June 14-17. We are asking every coalition partner to ask your volunteer networks to please take the following actions to get this bill passed this year:
1) June 10-13: District Phone Calls- Please call district offices of the following Senators and Assembly Members and tell them the time is now to pass S.3419C, Young/A2843D, Titone.
2) June 14-17: Albany Phone Calls- Please call the Albany offices of the following Senators and Assembly Members and tell them the time is now to pass S.3419C, Young/A2843D, Titone.
*We have provided talking points below to assist in this regard.
Talking Points for Phone Calls:
Hello, my name is … and I am a [constituent/affiliated with X organization]. May I please speak to the [Senator/Assembly Member] or his/her legislative aide?
- I am calling to request the passage of S.3419C (Young)/ A.2834D (Titone) this session.
- It is common-sense, pro-consumer legislation which includes basic patient protections to improve the safety and efficacy of health insurer step therapy (fail first) policies. This bill does not prohibit the use of such policies, rather it ensures they are used appropriately with needed medications.
- After six years of advocacy and several amendments to address health insurer concerns, the bill is ready for passage.
- Time is of the essence for patients who are fighting a serious disease or illness. Please pass this legislation, which is supported by a coalition of 70 patient and health provider organizations, before the session ends.
- Thank you!
|Legislator||Counties Represented||District Phone Number||Albany Phone Number|
|Senate Majority Leader Flanagan||Suffolk County||(631) 361-2154||(518) 455-2071|
|Senator DeFrancisco||Onondaga County
|(315) 428-7632||(518) 455-3511|
|Nassau County||(516) 739-1700||(518) 455-2200|
|Kings County||(718) 238-6044||(518) 455-2730|
|Monroe County||(585) 225-3650||(518) 455-2909|
|(845) 344-3311||(518) 455-3181|
|(716) 656-8544||(518) 455-3471|
|(607) 432-5524||(518) 455-3131|
|Assembly Speaker Heastie||Bronx County||(718) 654-6539||(518) 455-3791|