Mental Health Matters Day
March 13, 2019 – 8 am to 3 pm
Meeting rooms 5 and 6, Empire State Plaza
Join us for our annual Mental Health Matters Day, a day-long legislative advocacy event sponsored by the Mental Health Association in New York State, Inc. (MHANYS). We advocate for non-partisan issues related to mental health policy initiatives that impact our communities. Middle and High School students throughout the state are encouraged to attend; participation is free and breakfast and lunch are provided.
Prior to the event, our staff will help schools and youth groups by providing:
- Webinars, along with corresponding lesson plans, to educate students about the advocacy process and MHANYS’ legislative agenda.
- A social media toolkit to promote your school’s attendance in Albany on March 13. In addition, MHANYS will draft media advisories to inform local outlets about student participation.
- Help scheduling appointments to meet with local legislators in Albany and support in arranging for bus permits.
On March 13, schools and youth groups will receive:
- A Mental Health Matters t-shirt and legislative materials to share with representatives.
- Breakfast and lunch for all students and adults.
- Support from one of our staff, to act as a personal “host” for your group.
- An opportunity to connect with other students from across NYS and to hear from guest speakers, including behavioral health advocates and legislators.
- Pre-arranged appointment with your local legislative representatives.
- An opportunity to participate in a rally.
What you can do following the event….
- Share your experience via social media and during a presentation to your Board of Education.
- Write follow-up thank you notes to local legislators.
- Write letters-to-the-editor about your experience and issues of importance.
- Complete evaluation form for MHANYS about Mental Health Matters Day.