- This event has passed.
Problem Gambling and Suicide
March 12, 2018 - at 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Problem Gambling and Suicide: What this Relationship Means for the Fields of Substance Abuse and Mental Health
This webinar will be a joint presentation by the New York Council on Problem Gambling (NYCPG) and the Mental Health Association of New York State (MHANYS), Inc. To read more about this partnership click HERE.
Jaime D. Costello, CPP, NYCPG Director of Prevention, Training and Special Programs
Amy Molloy, MSW, M.Ed., MHANYS Director of Education
- Present the prevalence of suicidal ideation and attempt among gamblers.
- Describe the relationship between problem gambling and suicidal ideation and attempt.
- Discuss the risk factors that contribute to suicidal ideation and attempt among problem gamblers.
- Introduce the common mental health disorders that are linked to suicide and problem gambling.
- Explore the implications this information has for those working in the substance abuse and mental health fields.
- Participants will gain an understanding of the connection between suicide and problem gambling.
- Participants will be able to explain the relationship between problem gambling and suicidal ideation and attempt.
- Participants will be able to identify the common risk factors associated with co-occurring problem gambling and suicidal ideation.
- Participants will be able to describe ways to incorporate this information into their work.